United Scenic Artists, Local USA 829, is a labor union and professional association of Designers, Artists and Craftspeople, many who are world famous, organized to protect craft standards, working conditions and wages for the entertainment and decorative arts industries. The members of Local USA 829 are Artists and Designers working in film, theatre, opera, ballet, television, industrial shows, commercials and exhibitions. The current active membership totals nearly 3,800. For a full category breakdown, click on MEMBERSHIP [above] then on MEMBERSHIP CATEGORIES.
OBJECTIVES OF THE ORGANIZATION
- To foster and adopt ways and means for the continuous improvement of the working and living standards of the members of United Scenic Artists; to secure legislation in the interests of our members; to bring about higher wages, shorter hours and better working conditions for them; to influence public opinion by peaceful and legal methods; to promote, encourage and bring into existence satisfactory contractual relationships with employers in the industries from which our members are drawn; to advance and maintain better relations between our members and their employers; and to otherwise enrich the lives of our members, all other working men and women, and all mankind.
- To promote their individual rights in the prosecution of their trade or occupation, including creative property rights.
Local USA 829 establishes wages for Designers and Artists, and negotiates with employers to secure the best possible terms and conditions of employment as well as access to Health Insurance and Retirement benefits through employer contributions of Pension, Welfare, 401(k) and Annuity benefits.
WORK COVERED BY UNITED SCENIC ARTISTS
Local USA 829 currently has many Collective Bargaining Agreements which cover employment of Designers and Scenic Artists. For a more complete list, please click on CONTRACTS [above].
- National: League of Resident Theatres (LORT)
- Eastern Region: Broadway, Opera, Ballet, ABC, CBS, NBC; Scenic Suppliers in New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Florida; Motion Pictures in New York, New England and Philadelphia; Commercials.
- Central Region: Scenic Suppliers and theatre and opera Scenic Shops in Chicago and St. Louis; Steppenwolf Theatre Company, The Court and Victory Gardens Theatres, Chicago Opera Theatre, St. Louis MUNY, CBS, NBC.
- Western Region: The Ahmanson Theatre, the Los Angeles Opera and the San Francisco Opera; The Marin Theatre Company and The Magic Theatre in the San Francisco Bay area; Seattle Children's Theatre.