How to File a Union Project Agreement (UPA)


The rules for filing a Union Project Agreement are:

  1. The contract must be for work in the entertainment industry, which may include themed entertainment, hotel and restaurant venues, trade show, industrials and expositions.
  2. The contract must be with a legitimate business entity that has a Federal Employer Identification Number that appears on all checks for compensation and benefits.
  3. Checks must be business or corporate checks – not personal – with the name and address of the employer imprinted.
  4. The contract must be submitted on the Union’s printed form, which is available for download.
  5. The form may not be altered in any way; to do so renders the contract void.
  6. Riders with additional terms may be appended to the form, so long as they do not contradict any of the terms on the printed form.
  7. Two separate checks for the Pension and Welfare funds, in the aggregate amount of 20% of  the gross compensation, must be attached to the contract when submitted to the appropriate regional union office. Eight percent (8%) pension should be made out to the United Scenic Artists Pension Fund and Twelve percent (12%) welfare to the IATSE National Health and Welfare Fund. Contributions are not acceptable on personal checks, and participants may not make contributions on their own behalf even when working for their own company. Employers or members with any questions should call the appropriate Union Business Representative.